Thursday, September 22, 2011

Random Thoughts

As some of you might have noticed, I haven't been able to write about Troy Davis. I don't know why. All I know is that sometimes my feelings are too deep for my limited writing ability to capture. And so I watched and read, and last night I cried. But I chose to do so in silence. Perhaps that's cowardly - I have to think that one through.

Yesterday we showed the movie Deacons for Defense at our all-staff meeting. Its the true story of a group of black men in the South who had finally had enough of the terror and took up arms to defend themselves against the Klu Klux Klan. In a room made up of mostly African American staff, when the movie was over there was mostly silence as well.

One scene from it comes to mind. The leader of the Deacons is talking to one of the non-violent civil rights organizers who had joined him in the struggle but fought the idea of meeting violence with violence. The Deacon tells him that he killed white men for the military during World War II on behalf of his country and was considered a hero. But when he took up arms in this country against the same kind of evil, we condemn him.

That's not an analogy for what happened in the Troy Davis situation, but this idea of when we sanction killing ourselves and when we condemn it is a question that goes deep. I see that's where Geov's thoughts at BooMan Tribune went this morning as well.

And perhaps that's why last night my thoughts went to this:

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I haven't participated in the Troy Davis dialogue(apart from signing the Amnesty International pledge 'Not in My Name' which was in the comment section at TOD.) I don't think it's cowardice, SP, there are times words just don't cut it. Plus, I'm one of those who prefers not to speak when I'm faced with deep pain, as I'm thus better able to contain myself. I signed off last night,in hope, while the Supreme Court was discussing this so it was a slap in the face this morning to see the final decision. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too haven't commented on the execution of Troy Davis. I was so hoping when he was granted a delay, that it would lead to a stay. Then I saw that wasn't to be. I also signed the Amnesty International pledge Not in My Name, and gave a small donation to them. It makes me question what are we to become in a nation that is so divided, and there is so much hatred and violence. How can anyone applaud the execution of anyone, especially one that is innocent.

    I beg to differ about your limited writing skills, I'm always very impressed with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks VC and sjterrid - it always feels good to know that you're not the only one who reacted like this. Its one of the best parts of blogging!

    As to my writing skills - sometimes its a lot easier to write what's in your head than it is to communicate what's in you heart.

    ReplyDelete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...